Tomorrow is election day in Canada. We are blessed to live in a country where we have the freedom to choose our leaders and have a voice on the issues important to us. I admire most politicians for their tenacity, drive, vision and most of all for the huge personal sacrifice they make for their country. It has to be one of the toughest jobs in the world.
Having said all that, I can be as good a critic as the next person and sometimes think, what would I do if I was Prime Minister?
I asked the people in my household this morning what they would do if they were Prime Minister.
- Clare said she would create the NWHL: the National Women’s Hockey League
- Grace said she would rename every street in Canada Grace Street: Grace Street 1, Grace Street 2.
- Kaya, Clare’s friend who slept over said she’d order jelly beans for every person in the country (she also asked me if I was going to vote for Stephen Harvey)
- Dave said he would ban all electronics so people couldn’t blog
Here’s what I would do:
- Merge the Catholic and public school boards to save the costs of duplicate administration, bussing and improve our schools and education system
- Make brands that have reduced their packaging size put warning labels on their products that says “We’re charging you the same amount for one-third less”
- Provide tax breaks to businesses that introduce wellness, mentorship and early retirement programs, where employees over the age of 50 can scale back on the number of hours they work, and share knowledge and provide jobs for the new, oh-so-smart generation of workers entering our workforce who can’t find jobs. This would solve the work-life balance issues so many Canadians are struggling with and create jobs for the key 18-35 demographic
- Figure out a way to break the teacher’s unions (don’t get me started)
- And make more than three hashtags in a post or hashtags longer than 14 characters long illegal
This week’s #HappyAct is to exercise your democratic right and vote, and leave a comment. What would you do if you were Prime Minister? #elxn42 #cdnpoli