One of the things I love about living in Eastern Ontario is how easy it is to play tourist in your own town.
Yesterday, we took Clare and her friends to Eastern Ontario’s newest tourist attraction—The Aquatarium at Tall Ships Landing in Brockville. This was probably one of the most interactive, engaging tourist attractions I’ve visited and it was a definite hit with all ages.
Here’s our top 10 list of favourite things we did during our three-hour visit.
- Getting our picture taken with a huge mackerel and otter
- Broadcasting the weather live on Aquatarium News Network
- Rowing a skull in a virtual race
- Watching the otters at feeding time
- Racing sailboats in the wind tunnel
- Doing a ropes course of barrels, masts and planks
- Learning about water and how locks work
- Gazing at fish through portholes and glass tunnels
- Touching starfish and crabs in the touch tank
- Discovering the secret passage in the captain’s lounge
Sound like fun? Aye captain. This week’s #HappyAct is to play tourist in your own town this month.
Kingston friends: Next weekend, there’s three premier events you won’t want to miss in our own backyard—the Tall Ships are sailing into Brockville, the 180th Kingston Fall Fair takes over the Memorial grounds, and the North American police equestrian championships are taking place at Kingston Penitentiary with proceeds to United Way.