Those of you who know me well or who have followed this blog, know I am a dog lover. In the interests of diversity, equity and inclusion, I welcome the diverse perspective of cat people. I hope you enjoy this week’s post on cats from guest blogger and cat lover, Jill Yokoyama!
When Laurie first started writing her weekly blog I remember commenting on the name “happy act” and joking that she would have to do a “happy cat” post sometime. That day has arrived!
I have always been a “cat person” and growing up our family always had a cat or two as pets. For the last ten years, Gary & I have shared a home with our cat Yoyo. She is a run-of-the-mill brown tabby with lots of “cattitude” and one of Gary’s lines is “Careful, you can be replaced; there are 20,000 cats just like you in Hamilton…” Despite this joking threat, she has worked her way firmly into our hearts and we are endlessly amused by Yoyo.
After spending the last two years 24/7 observing Yoyo, here are some important life lessons from a cat:
- Always take the opportunity for a long nap. Even if it seems like you just woke up from a nap, it’s never too early to consider another one.
- Wallow in the sunshine whenever possible–close your eyes, stretch out and relax.
- Spend a few minutes every day with your people, showing your love & affection for them.
- Be curious about the world around you, whether it be the swirling flush of the toilet or what might be on the kitchen counter.
- Take joy in small pleasures. Chase a piece of string around the house like it is your most precious treasure.
- Defend yourself loudly and unreservedly when a bully comes around. Even if you are small, puff up your tail and fur and believe in your ability to take on a larger foe.
- Always say yes to treats!
We hope you enjoyed this week’s #HappyCat!