A couple of weeks ago, we met my brother and his wife at one of those indoor golf simulators, where you can play a round on a world-class golf course while swilling a pitcher of beer from the comfort of a couch. I had forgot how much fun these places are.
This was the first time we took the kids out for a golf excursion. The same tired phrases uttered by my mother and father thirty years ago became a steady stream out of our mouths, “Keep your head down, don’t take your eye off the ball, don’t stop mid-swing, follow through”.
The kids did pretty well actually—they are both naturally athletic. We all had a blast and it was a great way to spend a chilly Saturday afternoon.
Here are five reasons to brush up on your swing indoors at a golf simulator before heading out on the course:
- Most simulators have a maximum two-putt rule–how great is that?
- For people learning the game, or casual golfers you can take each other’s shots
- When you land in a water hazard, you can choose how you want to play your next shot and where you drop the ball
- You don’t have to worry about remembering how many shots you take (although this can be humbling too, I think my brother who is an ace golfer won the round by about 40 strokes)
- Did I mention they serve beer?
The funniest moment of the day was when the head of Dave’s driver broke off mid-swing at the tee at a long par 5 and went flying into the simulator screen. Luckily no one got hurt. I’ve seen clubs break before, but usually at the hands of the golfer. I’ve never seen one split apart mid-swing.
This week’s #HappyAct is to get into the swing and brush up on your game, whatever your game may be. Have a great week everyone.