Are you smarter than a Ryerson grad? If you’re a university alumni living in the Kingston area, come out Monday night and find out.
For the past four years, my Ryerson alumni group has been running an alumni challenge trivia night at our home pub, Tir Nan Og. Each year the event has grown. At first it was just Ryerson versus Queen’s (boo…) but now McGill and Royal Military College participate, and others are welcome too.
I suck at trivia but my friend and fellow Ryerson alum Michael Onesi, who works for Queen’s by the way (traitor) is our ace in the hole. He’s actually won HQ Trivia three times. He is a trivia god.
Trivia is as Canadian as butter tarts, hockey and double doubles at Tim Hortons. One of the greatest trivia games of all time, Trivial Pursuit was created by two Canadians, a photo editor for the Montreal Gazette and a sports editor for The Canadian Press. And of course Alex Trebek, host of Jeopardy is Canadian!
To get you in the spirit, see if you can answer these trivia questions about trivia:
- Which big company turned down the rights to Trivial Pursuit (and are probably kicking themselves to this day?)
- How much did the friends sell the rights of the game to Parker Brothers for in 1988?
a) $10 million
b) $40 million
c) $80 million
- What were the shapes of the pieces in Trivial Pursuit?
- What is the singular form of the word trivia?
- Why is trivia sometimes associated with scandal?
- Who holds the record for most wins on the show Jeopardy?
- How many wins in a row did he have?
- If you’ve competed on Jeopardy before, what other game show are you ineligible for?
In the trivial pursuit spirit yet? This week’s #HappyAct is to join your local pub’s trivia night, or come out to ours. The action goes down at 7. See you there!
Trivia about trivia answers:
1. Virgin Group
2 c) $80 million
3) Triangles or cheese wedges
5) In the 1950s, trivia became popular on American television, but it was discovered the producers of shows like the $64,000 Question and Twenty One were feeding the answers to contestants. This became known as the Quiz Show Scandals
6) Ken Jennings
7) 74 consecutive wins
8) Wheel of Fortune because they are sister shows